Arizona Digital Free Press - Logo

Shoeleather Journalism in the Digital Age

Shoeleather Journalism
in the Digital Age

Surprise partners with West-MEC via Career Development Scholarship

photo of surprise west-mec scholarship program
The Adult Education Dental Assisting Program provides affordable, hands-on education to those interested in becoming certified dental assistants and obtaining in-demand employment in the field. (File Photos/DigitalFreePress.com)

Report: Surprise helps fund West-MEC dental assisting program

Staff Reports | Digital Free Press

Surprise Economic Development — with the blessings of Mayor Skip Hall and fellow members of City Council — has partnered with Western Maricopa Education Center (West-MEC), specifically adult education, to support the city’s residents, employees, and recent high school graduates with the opportunity to attain education to become dental assistants via a Career Development Scholarship fund.

This scholarship is for the Adult Education Dental Assisting program at West-MEC’s Northwest Campus, officials there say.

The Adult Education Dental Assisting Program provides affordable, hands-on education to those interested in becoming certified dental assistants and obtaining in-demand employment in the field. Subsequently, the program supports the industry’s need for a skilled, certified workforce.

Surprise residents, workers employed in Surprise, or graduates of Surprise schools, within the past two years, are eligible to apply for this scholarship. The process of applying for the scholarship is as easy as applying for the program. The applicant will specify the criteria that applies to them and provide the document(s) that proves the applicant meets their stated criteria.

The supporting documents could be a valid government issued ID that has their address, a current pay stub and/or high school diploma or official transcripts.

“Our City Council is committed to investing in our community’s future and ensuring that our local talent is fully prepared for the emerging opportunities coming to our city,” said Mayor Hall in a prepared statement. “We believe these diverse scholarship offerings will help build the local workforce we need to fuel the industries coming to Surprise.”

The cost of the program is $7,635, but with the Surprise Career Development Scholarship, adult prospective students will be able to enroll in an 80:20 plan. The scholarship will pay 80% of the principal up front and will refund the student for payments made towards the remaining 20% upon successful completion of the program.

“This opportunity is one of a kind for West-MEC – Adult Education. We are most grateful for city of Surprise’s support in the successful launch of Adult Education programs at our Northwest Campus this fall, especially this new program to Adult Education,” said West-MEC Adult Education Director Lizeth Fils-Aime. “We look forward to providing an easy, seamless process for those that may qualify for this Career Development Scholarship.”

The all-new Dental Assisting Adult Education program will start on Sept. 11. The program will prepare students to assist medical professionals with, including but not limited to, dental examinations, sterilize and prepare instruments, provide coronal polish procedures, take and process X-rays, and take impressions of teeth.

Classes will take place Monday through Thursday evenings from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Category Sponsor

Learn About the Author

Published On:

Category Sponsor

Honor Health

Newsletter Sign Up

Scottsdale Daily Beat - Logo

Could we interest you in Local News That Matters? How about Enterprise Business Reporting & Real Property & Homes?

Milhaven 1
SUSD
Final Ortega 336x280 (1)
Cover_Spring-2024-SUSD-Showcase-magazine
Experience Scottsdale AD